Yielding to God’s Purposes




But the wisdom that is from above is the first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. –James 3:17 NKJV

Consider this: God is perfect. Eternal. Almighty. He knows everything about everyone (Ps. 139:1-4). On the other hand, we are imperfect. Sinful. Our lives are but a vapor (James 4:14). The more we learn, the more we realize we don’t know.

So why in the world wouldn’t we align our plans with God’s purpose?
We tend to think we know enough to make our own way in life.
But because God actually cares, get over that tendency. He is God. You are His. He provides the resources you need to accomplish His purpose.

Isaiah 41:10 records God’s assurance to His people:

Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”

God’s purpose for you is not mysterious – see Micah 6:6-8. This is the foundation of God’s will: to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with Him. All of the specific decisions we make can fall under these categories.
So make every one of your actions purposeful. And know that obedience is tightly tied to how your purpose is lived out.

If God’s absolute care for you is not enough motivation, consider this:

There were many times God called specific people to do specific things; and from those who did not obey He took away His hand of protection and provision (Jer. 7:13-15; Rom. 1:18-32). Even in such cases, His distance is intended to bring us to repentance and reconciliation.

David wrote Psalm 57 when he fled from Saul into the cave. Perhaps David doubted God’s purpose for him at this point. Maybe he wondered what was going on. He may have even been tempted to think God was wrong. But instead he wrote, “I will cry out to God Most High, to God who performs all things for me. He shall send from heaven and save me” (Ps. 57:2-3). David did not turn away from God’s purpose for his life, even when circumstances made it difficult to see the way forward.

Jesus said, “I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgement is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me” (John 5:30). James calls us to follow Jesus’ example when he reminds us that the fruit of wisdom is becoming a person who is “willing to yield” (James 3:17).

What might the Lord be asking you to yield or surrender so that you might do justly, love mercy, and walk humbly alongside Him? Think on these things.

If you are a fan of this blog post. you can read more like it by purchasing the Know The Word Study Bible, which runs parallel to any Bible in the Olive Tree Bible app.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YOUR LOVEWORLD SPECIALS. SEASON 7, PHASE 2 , DAY 2. 9TH MARCH 2023

THE CURE FOR DECEPTION

𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐋𝐃 𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐂𝐈𝐀𝐋𝐒𝐒𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐎𝐍 𝟕, 𝐏𝐇𝐀𝐒𝐄 𝟐, 𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝟏𝟖𝐓𝐇 𝐌𝐀𝐑𝐂𝐇 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑